While Americans celebrate their July 4th holiday, for which the people of the then British colonies broke free of the UK Crown and its austerity policies in order to form a sovereign nation…Greeks will be heading to the polls tomorrow in a referendum that may not only give Greeks freedom from over six years of bone crushing Euro austerity, but the opportunity to once again become a sovereign republic, free from the Brussels Crown.
Whatever the outcome of tomorrow’s referendum, July 5th will be going down in history as the day the European Union began to fall apart.
The referendum question Greeks will be presented with…
“Greek people are hereby asked to decide whether they accept a draft agreement document submitted by the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund, at the Eurogroup meeting held on on June 25 and which consists of two documents:”
“The first document is called Reforms for the Completion of the Current Program and Beyond and the second document is called Preliminary Debt Sustainability Analysis.”
“- Those citizens who reject the institutions’ proposal vote Not Approved / NO”
“- Those citizens who accept the institutions’ proposal vote Approved / YES.”
Some of the dilemmas that Greek citizens will be voting on tomorrow…
- Do you think Europe should forgive your debt, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Do you want to be in the Eurozone, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Do you want to be in the European Union, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you worried about prolonged capital controls, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you worried about a deposit haircut, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you worried about never ending austerity, unemployment, and debt, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you sick of Brussels, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you sick of Merkel, Schaeuble and Dijsselbloem, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you sick of Tsipras and Varoufakis, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Are you pissed off at decades of corruption by New Democracy and PASOK, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- Do you just want a job, family, a pension and a little dignity in life, check box ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
In the end, this is what tomorrow’s vote really comes down to (via Zerohedge)…
“No” means a lot of pain now and recovery later.
“Yes” means less pain now but no hope of recovery ever.